News
Media Alert: Grand Opening of Vermont’s First Community-Owned Solar Garden
Wednesday, August 07, 2013
Grand Opening of Vermont’s First Community-Owned Solar Garden
Putney Town Manager Cynthia Stoddard commemorates kick-off of Vermont’s first community-owned solar facility.
 

August 7, 2013

Media Contacts
Tim Braun, b2,inc.
(970) 618-0080; tbraun@b2inc.net
 
 
What: Clean Energy Collective and SunFarm Community Solar are proud to cut the ribbon on Vermont’s first community-owned solar facility, a 588-panel, 144 kW renewable energy facility that will be collectively owned by Green Mountain Power customers in nine counties. This press event brings together key stakeholders in Vermont’s renewable energy sector, including representatives from Green Mountain Power, Windham County, Clean Energy Collective, and SunFarm Community Solar to acknowledge the significance of this unique milestone.
 
Why: This is the first community-owned solar project in Vermont, and is an exemplary model of growing distributed-generation renewable resources outlined in Vermont’s clean energy initiatives.
 
When: Friday, August 23th, 5:30 p.m.
 
Where: 601 Bellows Fall Road, Putney, VT 05346 (map)
 
Background: The community solar model is ushering in a new era of accessible and affordable clean energy. While 9 out of 10 people in the US population say they want to take advantage of solar energy, only 20% really can; the remaining 80% face unworkable barriers like shady roofs, they are renters, or lack the financial capability. Community solar-clean power-generation via medium-scale facilities collectively owned by participating utility customers-removes those barriers by allowing 100% of electricity ratepayers the opportunity to own locally-produced clean energy.
 
In 2010, CEC established the first community-owned solar array in the country near El Jebel, Colo. Today, in addition to the new Putney SunFarm Community Solar Array, CEC operates nine community solar facilities in Colorado, New Mexico, and Minnesota, generating about 4 MW of clean power. CEC also has an additional 12 facilities under construction or approved for development, representing more than 6 MW of distributed renewable energy.
 
Along with local residential customers, the Putney Community Solar Array will greatly benefit GMP’s commercial and public entities, including regional businesses, municipalities, and non-profits.
 
About Clean Energy Collective (CEC) Colorado-based Clean Energy Collective is a developer of community-based renewable energy facilities and a national leader in community power generation. CEC pioneered the model of delivering clean power-generation through large-scale facilities that are collectively owned by participating utility customers. The CEC’s proprietary RemoteMeterĀ® system automatically calculates monthly credits and integrates with existing utility billing systems, enabling all utility customers to easily have clean, renewable power credited directly on their monthly utility bills, without modifying their home or office. www.easycleanenergy.com
 
Clean Energy Collective
Phone: 1-800-646-0323
Web: www.EasyCleanEnergy.com
 
Visit Our Social Networks
Facebook | Twitter | CEC Blog
 
Media Alert: Grand Opening of Vermont’s First Community-Owned Solar Garden